Sunday, January 31, 2010

Do Unto Others, Karma, What Goes Around Comes Around

I had a unique experience this weekend that I think is worth sharing. As my friends and I were getting out of our car in downtown Hattiesburg a man stopped. He was well spoken, dressed well, and told us a long story about how he locked his keys in his car and the police refused to come and unlock his car. He called roadside assistance and he didn't have enough money to pay them. There's really no way for me to convey the way the guy told this story. He asked for the amount of money that he needed to pay the roadside assistance. I quickly handed over the money. Now, some of you may say that I'm a sucker, push over, or just plain out stupid. I agree, it was not necessarily the most logical decision especially considering that I am completely broke right now. Also, I had absolutely no clue whether or not this guy honestly needed the money. I, however, have this philosophy that if you give to people in good faith then, it will come back around to you. It is also my hope that if I were in a situation like this gentleman described to me that someone would help me out as well. That being said, I gave the guy money, he accepted graciously, and I watched him walk out of sight.

Like I said before, Jesse and I are pretty broke right now...nothing serious just young college students on a very limited income. The next night after I gave this man the money we went out to dinner with some of our friends. One of my friends Mom's was so gracious to pay for both mine and Jesse's dinner. I know this sounds really silly but, it is just proof to me that no good deed goes undone...what goes around comes around...there is karma...and we should "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

I realize that some of you may be reading this thinking that I am really stretching this here and, you are entitled to that. It is, however, my small effort at recognizing the little blessings in this world. I am thankful that I was able to be a part of both the giving and receiving end.


No comments:

Post a Comment